THE PALIBE HIT MAKER
RAW TALENT OF THE WEEK
Profile by Robert Kamangazula
- REAL NAME: Emmanuel Jumbe
- STAGE NAME: Mazzo Openga (originated from being an all-day joke cracker)
- AGE: 18 years
- EDUCATION LEVEL: Form 4
- GENRE: HiDaH (self-made; a fusion of hip-hop with dancehall)
- RECORD LABEL: Urban Link Musical Village
Mazzo Openga is a Lilongwe based up and coming artist who mixes his music with some sort of comedy. He started music three years ago as it had always been his wish to let his dreams of being a musician come true one day. At several occasions, he had ever dreamt himself performing live on stage.
Mazzo has always been inspired by recording and producing artist, Seven O’ More, well known by one of his hit songs Standard 7C. The latter has been grooming Mazzo since their first professional meeting some years back.
“Seven O’ More is one of the famous artists from whom I have learnt a lot, and is an artist I still admire locally. I have been a fan of him for so long, and one of his songs that inspired me a lot was Nabola Swagga,” reveals Openga.
For any artist to come up with a music track, he/she has to attend what is known as a recording session first. According to Mazzo Openga, a good session starts with an intensive practice before the real recording.
“I am that kind of an artist who does not put ink on paper. My lyrics are always kept up in my head’s CPU but I always make sure that I have undergone an intensive practice before attending a session. That is what every artist has to do for the best studio session,” he says.
EM’s Robert Kamangazula had a chat with Mazzo Openga, and below is the excerpt.
What famous person do people tell you that you most resemble? Mr. Bin (mad character).
If you had a chance for a “do-over” in life, what would you do differently? “Haaamaiiii! Palibe,”
How did you come to meet Seven O’ More your producer? We met at Star Nation studio in Area 36 which is now Urban Link Musical Village currently owned by Seven O More but then it was owned by Salem Mitambo. Both of us went to attend his own session under Salem’s production.
If you were given a chance to ask and let Seven O’ More truthfully answer one question, what would be your question?
- Why do you like me?
What are your fondest musical memories?
- Caught up with a girl just because of my funny name Mazzo Openga
- Kasungu music tour with 7 0’ More( I didn’t know that I am already famous outside L-city till that day people sang all my songs I performed on stage that day)
How do you compose your songs, what’s the process like?
- I always start with screaming (Haamaiii!) then lyrics fall like mannah! …That’s my usual style.
How do you balance music with other obligations?
- doesn’t mix up things, one thing at a time, school time is school time
How do you spend your free time?
- Always laughing (though it makes me hungry sometimes) and chillin’ with friends.
If you could bring any person back to life, who would it be?
If you could wake up tomorrow in the body of someone else (a musician), who would you pick and what would you do?
- Yung Thug
- Build an orphanage because I feel touched seeing helpless and hopeless kids in the streets
Message to M-Dubz’ youths
- “For one to succeed in the industry out there, first of all you have to know your inborn talent, then know your applied talent. When it is not your talent, please do not force matters otherwise you end up wasting time when you should have done something better in life,” said Openga.
Meanwhile, Mazzo has promised to hit the nation again with two new music videos by the end of this month, July; one for the already released track “mbwerera” which he featured Seven O’ More and the other one for a new unreleased track titled “Hmm”.