ARTIST OF THE WEEK
By Langson Kalua Junior
Out of the blues, there cometh Njuchi Zitatu Crew; a youthful dancehall grouping made up of Eli, Coc Tiz, and Chizmo. Though the crew is just relatively nothing but a baby in the M-Dubz arena, its creativity both in the booth and on live concerts is already sending shockwaves across all corners of the country.
Of course, it’s undeniable that Eli, the 2018 UMP Best New Comer awardee is one of the hottest cakes around, but Chizmo, another one third of the crew is another giant in the making. His biological age may easily betray you into wrongfully concluding the same on his lyrical prowess. That could be one of the biggest errors in your reasoning for Chizmo is just young in age; his dexterity behind the mic is something else. It’s awesome. He’s a lyrical genius.
Based in Lilongwe, Chizmo is becoming a force to reckon with in the country’s dancehall music.
He’s been rising to stardom since his introduction to the game some three or four years ago.
Now, this year, he is to release his new EP, “No Girl Or Friend”.
EMs Langson Kalua Jnr caught up with this lyrically gifted rising star to enlighten his audience about his musical background, and his vision for the music.
- Birth name : Chiccondi Mungwa
- The meaning and origin of Chizmo : The name Chizmo originates from the combination of the letters of my name in Chichewa and in English. I took the 1st three letters of my name in Chichewa (CHI) and combined them with the last 4 letters of my name in English (MORE) and I came up with (CHIMORE). However, I wasn’t cool with it. Then I thought of removing (RE) and put (Z) between (CHI & MO) to make it sound Perfect.
- Date of birth: 9th February 1998
- Life outside music: small scale business owner
- The genesis of your music: The love I got for music got me into too much listening which led to too much reciting and then I ended up into developing my own styles and skills. But above all, making music is my in born talent.
- Favorite drink: Milk
- Favourite meal: Nsima with fried pork meat
- Best friend: My Girlfriend
WHO’S WHO ON YOUR LIST?
- First professional producer: Zupah
- First professional song: “NOW”
- First collabo: “Samandionera kukondwa” with Shabby
- Best producer ever worked with: Zupah
- Best studio: Marvelus Records
- Best television show locally: Urban Trend (Times TV), Social Hub (Zodiak TV)
- Most trending local urban musician locally: Eli Njuchi
- Favourite international urban music artist: Masicka
- Favourite local videographer: Vinny visuals, Ubwino and Mest media
- All time local urban music guru: NJUCHI
- Song of the moment in local urban music: Sampwaza by Coctiz Veda
- Local musician to have a collabo with? None
- International musician to have a collabo with? Kabaka Pyramid
- Dream country to perform: United kingdom
- Dream holiday destination: Jamaica
- Dream car: Jeep
- What makes you unique? My lifestyle
- New Year resolutions 2019: will drop an EP titled (No girl or friend) in April and expect more good music
- Most memorable moment in life as an artist: The first day I heard my song playing on radio
- Most embarrassing moment: I am a ‘Dislabada’ I never get embarrassed
IN ONE WORD:
- Self-description: Cool
- Malawi urban music : Trying
- Your music: Fine
- Song that describes your childhood? Play mi nuh play
- Artist you grew up listening to? Skeffa Chimoto & Truemale
- What would your life be like without music? mmmh Don’t even know how to describe my life without music
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES
- Facebook: Chizmo Njuchi
- Twitter: @ChizmoNjuchi