ARTIST OF THE WEEK
Vube stormed the M-Dubz industry with a bang. Having started serious music in 2010, it was just earlier this year that his Chindekha hit surprised many fans. Being new in the industry, the hit surpassed many people’s expectations and it was on everybody’s lips. The hit went viral. That then defined Vube as he went on to release hit after hit that keep on mesmerizing the M-Dubz urban music fraternity. Currently, he is nominated for the forthcoming 2017 UMP Awards under the Best New Act category.
Birth Name: Kumbukan Kingston Kasinja
What’s the origin of the name, VUBE?
- Vube is a name that has no meaning and it was given to me by a friend
Date of birth; 26th January 1994
Highest academic paper;
- Currently studying Mass Communication and Journalism at Pentecostal Life University
- I believe that so far I have not yet tasted what would befit that status
- Vnation (Vube nation)
Favourite colour; Black
Single, or taken? Single
Apart from music, what do you do for a living?
- I am also a master of ceremony
WHO’S WHO ON YOUR 265 RAP LIST
First professional producer: Henwood
Best producer you’ve ever worked with: Janta
Your all time local rap king? Macelba
Favourite local TV presenter: Luna MC
Favourite local videographer;
- I respect Vj Ice. It was him who believed in me when everybody else around me undermined my capabilities
Favourite local Music video; Kokha
YOUR TAKE ON 265 RAP PODIUM
Musically (urban music), are we there yet?
- The industry has a future and we will soon get there and those artists who are already on the international scene should continue giving a blind eye to us the upcoming artists; we are coming, and soon they will need us
What do you think needs to be done to promote urban music industry in Malawi?
- Love is what is needed. Big respect to artists like Macelba, Saint, Andy Music, Martse, Krazie G, Piksy, Blak Jak, Kwame, Hazel and very few others, I respect them a lot and they respect me as well
L City or BTz, which city is calling the shots, musically?
- Musically, It’s always been L city
From your observation, who’s ruling the 265 music industry currently?
- The one who is ruling is Zani Challe
What’s the most embarrassing moment you’ve ever encountered as an artist:
- Embarrassing moment was when someone told me I did not look like Vube
The most memorable moment?
- Most memorable moment was the day I met Mosh
YOUR LIFE AGAINST OTHER ARTISTS, FANS and YOUR MUSIC IN GENERAL
Which of all your collabos do you cherish the most?
- The one I did with Martse stands out…..the guy knows how to respect young talent
Who is the local artist you admire to work with?
- Zanie Chale
Which local urban hit(s) is/are currently standing out this year?
- Apse Mtima, and Delirah
Assuming you scoop the 2017 UMP Best Upcoming Artist, how are you going to give back to your fans (people who voted for you)?
- I will release some more good hits for my fans and Malawi as whole
Who do you think will win 2017 UMP’s Artist of the year?
- Saint or macelba basi
LET’S TALK SOMETHING PERSONAL
How would you describe yourself?
- I’m a person who loves chilling …I talk a lot but ironically, I hate people who talk a lot.
Assuming you are to wed today, who would be your best man?
- Mosh would be my best man. He is the best friend I have ever had
What’s your dream holiday destination?
- Abiza is my dream destination
What’s your favorite chilling spot in L City?
Compiled by Kedson Ngwira