ARTIST OF THE WEEK
You can’t write three paragraphs of modern day videography in Malawi without including VJ Ice in them. He’s the definition of Malawi videography. But how much do we know about this energetic videographer? What motivated him to join this industry? Well, let’s take a look at VJ Ice’s particulars, below!
Birth name in full: Anthony Malisawa
Origin of the name, VJ ICE?
- The Name VJ Ice started after my friend, Ron Chacha, saw that I was releasing a lot of video mix-tapes (back in 2008 – 2009) which I was burning and spreading in my hood. So used to be DJ Young Ice, to DJ Ice then he said I should be VJ ICE ‘cause I was mixing a lot of music videos.
- In 2010 the Name was Born VJ ICE leaving all behind.
Date of birth; 26 Sept 1990
Highest academic paper; Advanced Diploma in Graphics Design
Favourite food; Nsima with Beef and Beans
Record label; Big Box Music/Visual Perfect
Favourite colour (s); Red, Brown, Orange
Single, or taken? Taken
Apart from video production, what do you do for a living; Professional Dj
What really drove you into this industry?
- For the love of music since I was a tender age. I grew up with my brothers who exposed me to a lot kind of music. My father as well exposed me to his kind of music. So I can say I grew up in a musical family. So it was bound to happen that I would end up in the industry one day.
WHO’S WHO ON YOUR 265 URBAN MUSIC LIST
Who’s your best friend in music video Production
First professional song you shot
- Zokoma – Canny One (aka Africathadj) feat Boy Magic and Cosby
Best artist(s) ever worked
- Hazel Mak, Sangie and Janta
Favourite local video director/producer (apart from yourself)
- Chipi Khonje
Favourite International video director/producer:
- Joseph Kahn and Colin Tilley. But I’m a fan of the works of Joseph, alot
Favourite local TV presenter
- Che kalonda Blakjack
Favourite local TV channel;
Favourite local videographer;
Favourite local Music video
- Gwetsa – Dj Nathan Tunes x Hazel Mak
YOUR TAKE ON 265 URBAN MUSIC PODIUM
L City or BTz, which city is calling the shots, musically (videos)?
- I Rep My City L city.
From your observation, who’s ruling the 265 urban music industry currently?
- TAY GRIN
What’s the most embarrassing moment you’ve ever encountered as an artist (videographer)?
- Losing two back ups hard drive with people’s footage in it.
The most memorable moment?
- Winning Best Music Video of the year Award in 2015 for Janta’s Divorce Visuals. It was I thing I didn’t expect will happen but happened. Plus this year opening DJ for Casper Nyovest at Ovation food festival. Great crowd and great moment
Your thoughts on the just ended UMP awards (2017)
- It’s a great establishment for Malawian music platform, for them to come up with such an event is respectful already. The industry needs this, and I support it! To all those who didn’t win better luck next time. But let’s support and sponsors need to come in and help for these awards to be big.
How do you relate the video production of today and of our parents back then?
- We more advanced and a lot has changed over the years.
What do you think needs to be done to promote music video production industry in Malawi?
- There is a lot to be done, all I can say is big corporate world needs to endorse Malawian talents. The only way forward is recognizing how powerful art in Malawi change lives of Malawians. Us as artists are role models and given tools to help moves masses, things can happen. But it all starts with the support from the Top, osati “Gentleman’s Agreement”
YOUR LIFE AGAINST OTHER ARTISTS, and YOUR VIDEO PRODUCTION IN GENERAL
How would you describe the following people in one word each?
- Sukez ; Excellent
- Ron cz; Excellent
- Essim ; Excellent
- Jacko (Mest Media); Excellent
Who do you admire to work with locally?
- Mest Media
Which local urban music video hit is currently standing out this year?
- Gwetsa – Dj Nathan Tunes x hazel Mak
LET’S TALK SOMETHING PERSONAL
How would you describe yourself?
Assuming you are getting married, who would be your best man?
- Dj Flame
What pisses you most, as a person?
- People who pay late their bills.
Dream holiday destination?
Assuming you passes on today, whom would you want to lay the first wreath on your tombstone?
- My Family and Friends
How many are you in your family?
- Four Brothers
Favourite chilling spot in Lilongwe
- Cockpit Lounge, and Latitude 13
What motivates you every day you wake up?
Any other talents you have apart from doing Music?
- Graphic designing and Programming
Sourced & Compiled by Kedson Ngwira