ARTIST OF THE WEEK
TOMBO K: The forgotten diva who’s now rocking it like a pro
Profile By Gibson C Kamanga
When she left Mzuzu for Cape Town down south, Tombo K was an almost non-existent urban musician locally. She knew about that. Unlike others, however, she had a mission. A mission of not only making a name in the M-Dubz urban music circles but also of living a mark in the industry. Cometh the dawn of 2020, Tombo K has just done that.
Through her never-say-die spirit, Tombo K, kept on perfecting her skills in the booth. She kept on meeting the who and who’s of the music business both locally and internationally. All she wanted was to borrow a leaf on how professionals bend it like.
By and by, Cape Town started taking note of the new diva on the block. No wonder, since 2015, she has been a regular performer at Miss Malawi Cape Town events.
Just recently, she has dished “Tikondane song” – a song many say is the peak of the Afro Pop Diva.
This is a brief into the life of Tombo K, the new diva with the midas touch.
- Birth name: TOMBO KACHULU
- Date of birth: 8th December 1991
- Record label: Independent
- Current city: Cape Town, RSA
- Type of music: Afro pop
- Single/taken? Taken
- Hometown: Mzuzu
- How did you develop passion in music? Schools and churches
- Artist you grew up listening to: Brandy
- First professional song: Your Love
- First professional producer: Dr Paul Concord
- First concert: Miss Malawi Cape Town2015
- First mobile handset: Nokia
WHO’S WHO ON YOUR LIST
- Best producer ever worked with: Gaffar
- Current trending artist in M-Dubz: Tombo K
- Best radio M-Dubz radio DJ : spyda the Ryda
- Favourite studio: Black Yard Records
- Favourite club in RSA: Cubana
- How are you keeping yourself up with this lockdown there?
- Most of my time is spent in the kitchen. Cooking is my hobby. Also, I’m almost always online so as to keep updated with current affairs
- How different is music management in RSA and that in Malawi?
- Right here (RSA), music is a serious business. It’s handled as a business enterprise. This, mostly isn’t the case in M-Dubz
- What are your music plans after the lockdown?
- I wanna shoot a video for my “Tikondane” song
- Why are female Malawian urban musicians don’t last longer in the music industry?
- Most of us ladies lack focus. We’ve no idea why we venture into this industry. So, just like any other enterprise, where you lack focus, you’re bound to fall
WHAT’S HOT N WHAT’S NOT?
- Cape Town or Johannesburg? Cape Town rocks
- L-City or BTZ? Btz
- BMW or Limo? BMW
- Weave or wigs? Wigs
- Denim or leather? Leather
- Stiletto heels or wedge? Stiletto Heels
- Balenciaga or sneaker? Sneakers
- Dreadlocked guy or table cut guy? Table cuts
- Dress or Jamsuit? Dress
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES”
- Facebook: Tombo Kachulu
- Twitter:@Tombo Kachulu
- IG: @Tombo Kachulu