ARTIST OF THE WEEK | NEWS | MUSIC
THE GLOWING TEDDY BEAR OF M-DUBZ URBAN MUSIC
Profile by Langson Kalua Junior
He is one multitalented youngster who’s being billed to be on the driving seat in the country’s urban music, more especially in the RnB direction in the near future.
Already, people are putting him in the same class as golden voiced Kell Kay, and Kelvin Sings.
To him, however, he is in a class of his own.
It was in 2018 that his single, “Before” that attracted people’s attention. A couple of months later, another single, “Temporary”, a duet with Lackie was all he needed to leave a mark in the country’s urban music encyclopedia. No wonder the song was nominated for UMP 2018’s Music Video of the Year award.
From then on, it has been good news all over as Teddy has been blazing hot with his soul touching lyrics. That is when M-dubz urban music faithfuls realized there was another rare gem in this youngster.
According to him, he has been music since before his existence. How that is true, only him and him alone knows. Wanna know more about Teddy? Hold on.
- Birth name? Teddy Maliza Jr.
- Date of birth? 10th July 1996
- Minus music how else do you do to earn a living? I do all kinds of businesses that come my way.
- Record label: Abstract records
- Origin of your passion in music? Music is actually part of my family’s legacy, not that we have worked on music as a family and put it out officially but it’s something that has been a hobby since way before I was born in my family. So I grew up to love music because I was surrounded by people who love music.
- City of residence: Blantyre
- Favorite drink : anythingCherry
- Favourite meal: pork
- Favourite hide out: Studio
- Song of the moment in local urban music: Let me love you by Charisma
WHO IS WHO ON YOUR LIST?
- First producer: OBK
- First professional song: Nkhawa Bii
- First collabo: Paperboy by Keim
- Best producer ever worked with? Sonyezo, Eq and Blage
- Best studio Houston creative
- Favourite international urban music artist: Wizkid
- Favourite local videographer: Script
- All time local urban music guru: Daredevils
- Local Malawian artist to have a collabo with? Kell Kay
- International artist to have a collabo with? Wizkid, and Chris Brown
- Dream holiday destination? Italy
- Dream car? BMW E-drive series
- Most memorable moment in life as an artist? First time I met Sonyezo.
- Most embarrassing moment? Not yet.
IN ONE WORD:
- How do you describe yourself? Focused.
- Describe Malawi urban music. Growing
- How do you rate your music? 10 out of 10
- Artist you grew up listening to? Daredevils, and George Mkandawire
- A song that describes your childhood? N/A
- A song you listen to when happy? Louis Armstrong’s Wonderful world
- How will life without music be like to you? There shouldn’t be life without music, that’s not an option
- Three things you can’t travel without? My phone, my songs and prayers from my mother
Social media handles
- Facebook Teddy Maliza
- Twitter @teddymusik
- Instagram @seeteddy_