- (The rise and rise of a twinkling little star )
ARTIST OF THE WEEK
Rap music industry locally continues producing icons by each passing day. Spyral is one of those voices that are redefining Malawian rap music. For starters, Spyral became famous during the era he was working with colleague Solo Maze. Back then, they used to be called Proud.
He has also worked with the likes of Toast, and Tsar Leo among others.
So, ladies and gentlemen, let us have a look at Spyral’s rising to stardom.
Profile by Lawrence Nachipo
Birth name: Kennedy Mwenya
Origin and meaning of the stage name, SPYRAL
Spyral is from the dictionary word spiral (a shape or form of motion that rotates from one point and expands as it rotates). I just replaced the I with Y to make it look more hip.
- Date of Birth; 13 June 1995
- Favourite food; Anything with chicken
- Record label; No record label
- Favourite colour; Red
- Relationship status: In a relationship
Area of residence: zingwangwa (Blantyre)
Apart from music, what do you do for a living? I’m a Graphic designer at FD communications. I also do free-lance web development
Origin of music passion: Started way back when I was in high school. That was also influenced by my passion for American music on various TV channels
YOUR MUSICAL BACKGROUND
- First professional song: Walahi (produced by no sleep gang)
- First professional producer: Exl Mw
- First collabo; First collabo (Proud – Thyola)
- Best producer you’ve ever worked with; Tricky Beatz & Exl
- Favourite local urban artist: Spyral
- Your all time local M-Dubz hip hop artist: Gwamba
- Favourite local TV presenter: Blackjack
- Hottest urban hip hop artist currently (in Malawi) If not me then none
- Best friend musically; No specific one. I have many; all on the same level, no ranking
- Favourite drink: Brandy currently. Not constant though
- Passtime activities: Chilling with friends, video games, clubbing, movie series
YOUR TAKE ON 265 RAP PODIUM
L City or BTz, which city is calling the shots, musically? L city has the game at the moment. Not for long though
Most embarrassing moment encountered as an artist: Hitting off keys when recording with auto tune ‘coz my voice went bad courtesy of whiskey. And it happened in front of a number of artists and producers.
The most memorable moment? When I was carried by the crowd at a show in Machinjiri (Blantyre) last year
What do you think needs to be done to promote urban Hip Hop music industry in Malawi? WE should have a Malawian TV channel dedicated to urban music
LET’S TALK SOMETHING PERSONAL
What pisses you most, as a person?
When someone doesn’t do what they are supposed to do or said they would do
Dream holiday destination: Dubai
Dream car: Lambo
What’s your favourite chilling spot? Home
What motivates you every day you wake up? The fact that I’m still alive means God still has a plan for my life
Exceptional talents minus singing: Graphic designing
As an artist what do you do to be a good example to your fans? I try to be the best person I can be to the people around me & my family so as to show people that being an urban artist doesn’t just stand for negativity and rebellion.
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES
- FACEBOOK; com/spyralofficial
- TWITTER; @spyralofficial
- INSTAGRAM; spyralofficial