ARTIST OF THE WEEK
The fast growing King of Reggae/Dancehall
When you hear Mdubz good music, which names pop in your head?
Purple C, right?
Undoubtedly one of the fast rising Reggae/Dancehall artist in Malawi, who came to stardom within a short series of song releases.
Dating back to 2016 when he hit the airwaves with his debut single “Hot Like Sun” which soon became one of the most played song of the year, and earning him his first by a Best New Comer award at Nyasa Music Awards. In 2018, he got two awards, one for the Sukez directed video “The Good Life” in the Best Music Video of the year at the Nyasa Music Awards, and the other for the Best Dancehall Act at 2018 UMP.
Since the beginning of his career EM has been following his musical adventure. Via Kedson Ngwira, we have profiled the life of Purple C, the artist.
- Government name: Albert Mhango Makhaliremo
- The meaning and origin of the stage name: originally Purpose, stylized as Purple C. It has nothing to do with the color purple or the letter “C” itself. Understanding that I am gifted for a purpose, and that I am obligated to figure out what it is, I gave myself the name to keep reminding me of what I live for whenever someone calls me by that name.
- Date of birth; 21st May 1998
- Life outside music: I attended the University of Greenwich Malawi (NACIT Campus), where I graduated with a first division second-class degree in Business Information technology. Currently I am working For Mobile Telecommunications Network (MTN) and Lively LTD
- Origin of your passion in music: I was exposed to music of mixed up genres at a very young age, always was driven by curiosity to understand the theory of music. Having attended a short private tutoring music course, it was at the university where the passion for music grew and decided to pursue it as a career
- Favorite drink; Lemonade
- Favourite meal; Pork or BBQ Ribs with pasta or french-fries
- Favourite hide out? The studio Lab
- Best friend; Andrew.
- Favourite performance venues; I do not have one yet
WHO’S WHO ON YOUR LIST?
- First producer; We-Mu (Munshyn Records)
- First professional song; Hot Lika Sun
- First collabo; PurpleC ft Bromyn Keep it real
- Best producer ever worked with; EQ (Abstract Records
- Favourite international urban music artist; EQ (Abstract Records
- Favourite local videographer; Sukez (HD Plus Creations).
- All time local urban music guru: Kapilintiya.
- What do you feel is the best song you’ve ever released and why? Champion, this song basically was talking about something I needed to hear from someone to get uplifted, hence I came up with this tune, I sang this song in perspective of me telling someone so that other people can relate.
- Malawian artist(s) to have a collabo with? Nobody.
- International music artist to have a collabo with? Damian Marley
- Dream country to perform; Amsterdam
- Dream holiday destination: Bahamas.
- Dream car? Audi RS8
- What makes you unique? My ability to sing my thoughts and heart out with right tone and emotion. Plus I do not follow trends
- 2019 resolutions; Grow as an artist. Go hard or go home
- Can one take Malawi urban music as a serious career (just like the way it is in other countries)? Yes. Apart from passion, music is a business just like any other business, as long as one is able to apply the business fundamentals into his or her music career, I can guarantee that person will attain a certain level of success anywhere in the world not only Malawi
- Please discuss with us how you interact with and respond to fans. The most convenient way of communicating with my fans for me is through the media, more often Social media
- Is there a hidden meaning in any of your music; No, there is nothing like any hidden meaning in any of my songs
- If you can have your fans remember one thing about you, what would it be? Making good music
- Who is your fan or customer? (Analyze this question thoroughly) I would describe my fan as any person who loves and appreciate my music or Purple C as a brand, on the other hand my customer (Consumer) is considered as someone who listens to my music, watches my music, someone who has never heard of my music and someone who pays or would pay for my art
- If you could date any other musician (Or celebrity) in Malawi, who would it be and why? Yes I would, tough question but I’d go for Zani, and because I think she`s Gorgeous and plus I got no other option
- Do you think you could get any better as a musician? And if so, how would you achieve that? Yes I know I can get better as an artist, if can only I put in more practice, Invest more in my art (financial investment), Travel and corroborate with other artist, locally and internationally
- If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it be? Keep showing your support and never stop praying for me
- Most memorable moment in life as an artist? The day I got carried from the stage by excited fans and I ended up losing my left sneaker
- Most embarrassing moment? When I got kicked out of the waiting area whilst trying have a conversation with Busy signal at his Concert
- Have you ever dealt with performance anxiety? Yes I have
IN ONE WORD:
- How do you describe yourself? Extraordinary.
- Artist you grew up listening to; Don Williams and Akon
- Current base: Damian Marley
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES
- Are you actively involved with updating daily your social networking sites? Ie Twitter, Facebook, instagram etc; Yes I am
How can people find you on;
- FACEBOOK: Purple C Music
- TWITTER: @PurpleCMusic
- INSTAGRAM: PurpleC_XO
ENTETERTAINMENT MALAWI TEAM IS WISHING YOU A HAPPY BIRTHDAY AS YOU ARE HAVE TURNED 21 YEARS TODAY. TO MORE YEARS OF GOOD MUSIC. ENJOY!!!!!!