NEWS | ARTIST OF THE WEEK
THE ARTIST WHO’S REDEFINED TONGA MUSIC
It was not a long time ago when Machuluka made an entry into the country’s music platform. Unlike others who take years to conquer the market, his was an instant success.
Zowala, his professional debut song shook Malawi by storm. Since then, he has been releasing hit-after-hit songs. It is through him that many have now come to appreciate the tonga culture for all his songs are in tonga.
No wonder, Mdauko wa Atonga (a tonga heritage grouping) recognized Machuluka for his efforts of promoting the Tonga culture via his music.
Unlike others as well, Machuluka’s songs have no boundary; the young and the old are all following Tonga-beats (Machuluka’s songs). Truth be told, Machuluka is an overnight celebrity. No wonder his name is all over the country.
Entertainment Malawi’s Kedson Ngwira caught up with this gifted rising star to give insights into the music world.
- Official name: Machuluka Andrew Mphande.
- Date of birth: 8th February 1988
- Life outside music: I enjoy painting and drawing. I am actually good at it.
- Origin of your passion in music: my brother Nesfield who used to sing during his school days inspired me.
- Favourite drink: Any pineapple juice.
- Favourite meal: Kondowole with Batala
- Favourite hide out: My bedroom.
- Best friend: Lusao Mphande.
- Favorite performance venue: Chikale Beach Resort.
WHO’ S WHO ON YOUR LIST?
- First producer: Obhie
- First professional song: Zowala
- First collabo: ‘Mkazi Ndilibe, a collabo with Mwanache.
- Best producer ever worked with: None for now because I self produce my music.
- Favourite international urban music artist: Tecno.
- Favourite local videographer: Sukez
- What do you feel is the best song you’ve ever released and why?: Zowala because it is the song that made me known. It gave me direction.
- Malawian artist(s) to have a collabo with? The great Wambali Mkandawire
- International music artist to have a collabo with? Tecno
- Dream country to perform: Nigeria
- Dream holiday destination: America
- Dream car? Mercedes G63 AMG.
- What makes you unique? I am Andrew Machuluka Mphande not someone else.
- 2020 resolutions: release my first album; make more music videos, Glow Machuluka Records.
- Can one take Malawi urban music as a serious career (just like the way it is in other countries)?: yes one can do that, actually there are artists who are doing just that now. I will not mention names.
- If you can have your fans remember one thing about you, what would it be? I would like them to remember me as the artist who gave them joys, hope and encouragement through my music.
- Who is your fan or customer? Anyone who takes their time to appreciate my music. There are many artists out there, it’s not easy to be noticed. No one can be your fan or customer if they don’t have or like your product.
- If you could date any other musician (Or celebrity) in Malawi, who would it be and why: None
- Do you think you could get any better as a musician? And if so, how would you achieve that? There is always room for improvement in music. There are lots of things to learn. I will keep learning from those who have been there longer and those that have the skills I lack. Would go to school if I am required to.
- Pretend you’re the CEO of a certain big record label in Malawi, any three emerging urban music artists you would recruit? Tissy Mike, Michael Mountain and Positive Youth because these guys are talented.
- If you had one message to give to your fans, what would it be? Keep supporting me, I am Machuluka because of you. Without you there is no me.
- Most memorable moment in life as an artist? In 2018 Mdawuku wa Atonga gave me an award for my contribution to the popularization of the Tonga language through my music.
- Most embarrassing moment? In 2019 I was booked to perform in Mzimba at Munjiri hall, there was no audience, it was poorly organized.
- Have you ever dealt with performance anxiety?: Yes, I have and I believe every artist has, at some point in their career, experienced it.
- Artist you grew up listening to: Wambali Mkandawire
- Current base: Lilongwe area 25c.
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES
- FACEBOOK: Andrew Machuluka Mphande/ Machuluka Official.
- TWITTER: @machuluka.
- INSTAGRAM: machulukaofficial