Full Name: JEREMIAH CHIENDA
Origin of the name, LIWU?
- Liwu means word in Chichewa. So I felt that adequately describes what I do (sharing the Word of God), how I do it (using words and wordplay) and to whom I do it (the Word).
Date of birth; 9 May 1990
Highest academic paper; Masters of Engineering in Computer Science
Favourite food; Nsima with local chicken and thelele
Record label; Nyalimuzik (not really a label lol)
Favourite colour; Blue
Single, or taken? Married! (Put a ring on it, guys)
Apart from music, what do you do for a living Programming. I enjoy writing codes!
YOUR MUSIC BACKGROUND
What really drove you into this industry?
- It’s something I felt I was gifted with. The ability to rap/write lyrics. So I was encouraged by people like Genni Black and later Purpose to share my raps with the world!
Why gospel music, of all genres?
- It gives me satisfaction to know that my simple words can encourage someone out there who’s lost hope to keep pushing. Or someone to aspire to be better and make their life right!
Who’s your best friend, musically?
- KBG. No doubt.
What’s your first professional song?
- Maybe Thandi. From Word is Born.
Who’s your first professional producer?
- Purpose (Prayer Zuze)
Who’s your best producer you’ve ever worked with?
- Jay Cliff. Produced Pray a Lot. And Shades On
Who’s your favourite local gospel artist
- Lawi. Hands down.
You favourite international gospel artist:
- I like Francesca Bratastelli (hope I spelt her right). In hip hop. It’s probably Swoope, Shai Linne
The most memorable moment in your career:
- Probably the show when Flame came to Malawi in 2011 I think.
YOUR GENERAL VIEW ON GOSPEL MUSIC IN MALAWI
What do you think needs to be done to promote urban gospel music industry in Malawi?
- We need a bit more support financially to improve on the quality of audio and video production.
Is urban gospel music that profitable? Say compared to other genres of music (in Malawi)?
- No ways.
Would you accept an offer from a secular artist to feature you in their song (a secular song)?
- If it aligns with my values and things I feel strongly about, like corruption in our country or our role as young people in making a difference, I would consider it. We all share the same pain, struggle, hope and desire for happiness!
LET’S TALK SOMETHING PERSONAL
What do you hate most as a human being?
- My sin. And how much it hurts the people around me. How much my selfishness grieves God and my loved ones.
Do you have any strange habit?
- Yup. I slurp cold drinks (like Sobo). My wife hates it!
ANY UNKNOWN SIMPLE FACTS ABOUT YOU?
Any other talents you have apart from rapping
- Acting. Football/Soccer Commentary.
- Whether you can or you can’t. You’re right.
ANY MESSAGE TO YOUR FANS?
- Thanks for holding it down even when I was away. Expect something hottttt very soon.
Compiled by our Reporter