ARTIST OF THE WEEK
He describes himself as an honest person. He is the self-acclaimed TrapGod. Truth be told, Minus Chavurah (Mwiza) and Avo Kado, Ikon Emcee is another M-Dubz urban artist who calls a spade by its rightful name via his social media accounts. He’s very vocal.
Recently, he’s released his EP, Pink Panda which was launched in style; it was spiced up by a rap battle between him and Chavurah at a colourful event held at AJ’s Arts Café in Blantyre city.
So, why is this rapper so resentful at his fellow rappers, mostly Toast, and Waxy K? How did he develop his passion in the music industry?
Well, let’s get into the life of this lyrical blessing, IKON EMCEE.
Birth name in full: ISAAC JAKE MITHI
Date of birth: 1st November 1994
Meaning, and origin of the name, IKON EMCEE; Given to me my younger brother meaning Different, Leader and Limitless minded.
Single/Taken/ or Complicated? : Taken
Favourite meal: Rice and Beef with Hot Spice
Favourite colour: Black
Music aside, how else do you eke a living? I’m an Entrepreneur
YOUR LIFE AS A MUSICAL ARTIST
Genre of music: Fusion (Trap, Rap and R&B)
Record label: Red Disc Music
When did you realize you had passion for music? Way back. I realized I’d some music blood in me when I was around 11 years old
WHO IS WHO ON YOUR MUSICAL LIST?
First professional song: African Child
First producer: Jmass of Red Disc music
Your First collabo: Mofasa Ft. Element Wun & Octo (2015)
Who is ruling the M-Dubz rap industry? Ikon Emcee
Who is your all time best producer you have ever worked with? Jmass
Who is your best friend musically? Romean
From your observation, who nailed it musically in 2017 (in Malawi urban music)? From my observation Waxy Kay nailed 2017; we all know he came up nice
All time M-Dubz Rap king: Hayze Engola
Best TV programme (in Malawi): SoundTube on Times TV
Best TV host, locally: Black Jack
YOUR TAKE ON 265 RAP PODIUM
Musically (urban music), are we there yet? Malawi rap is getting there…it’s not bad.
Who is likely to nail it this year? Ikon Emcee
YOU AND M-DUDZ RAPPERS
What went wrong between you and Toast, for you appear to be dissing him day in day out on Facebook?
- Toast was trying to be smart with me. He did a song which attacked me and when I started responding, people said I’d beef with him and there he was; acting innocent! Alot influenced the beef but we managed to solve our differences.
- The song in question is –Famous– which he featured Ft Charisma, Tsar Leo & Episodes. It was an insult for me when he was alleging that he was dissing Tsar Leo who was in the very song he claimed to be dissing him which just sounds so stupid to me.
Why are you throwing jabs at Waxy Kay?
- This kid begged for it as well. Waxy Kay did almost 3 songs which he dissed me in a couple of lines , the first track, “Zazii“, then His recent Release “Umuziwe Yesu” and one song which he was featured on by Hartse (Ft Waxy Kay and Charlet) titled “Zaife Zinayela“.
- In Zazii, he was defending Joy Nathu (2FM’s DJ) after I’d reproached him (Joy) on my Facebook wall. The lines in Zazii went on like this, “Ndi zazii zoma dissa DJ chifukwa wakana ku player nyimbo yako blah blah blah.
- In “Umuziwe yesu” He was like “Zima likes mbweee pa Facebook koma mu street palibe amakuziwani and a couple more lines blah blah blah” and in “Zaife Zinayela” He was like “Ndiwe celeb wapa FB sungatenge place yanga, akukutcha Hero chifukwa ukudya ex wanga blah blah blah…” and i haven’t even done one song dissing him but people always make me look like I started the beef.
- It’s equally irritating that a lot of people just jumped into the issue and start defending him maybe because he looks like a child and innocent and I’ve a controversial character and I’m not equally known.
Any embarrassing moment you have ever encountered as a musical artist?
- The most embarrassing moment I ever encountered was when one fan of mine had to kneel down for me in the street after he found out I was Ikon Emcee and the people around were just gazing at me. I really felt so embarrassed!
Assuming you are to wed today, who would be your best man?
- My Brother Joshua Mithi AKA Josh Ali would be my best man
What’s your dream holiday destination? Paris,France
Favourite chilling spot in BTz: Chez Ntemba
Dream car: Lamborghini
Any talent apart from music? I’m a comedian as well. I can make you laugh your lungs out 24 hours
SOCIAL MEDIA DETAILS
- FACEBOOK: TrapGod Ikon
- INSTAGRAM: Ikon_Emcee
- TWITTER: Ikon_Emcee
Compiled by Gibson C Kamanga